This statement was adopted by the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of St John’s Hebburn on Monday 7th June 2010 and is reviewed each year.
1. We recognise that everyone has different levels of vulnerability and that each of us may be regarded as vulnerable at some time in our lives.
2. As members of this community we commit ourselves to be respectful pastoral care for all who we are involved with.
3. We commit ourselves to the safeguarding of people who may be vulnerable, ensuring their well-being in the life of this community.
4. We commit ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust.
5. The parish commits itself to promoting the inclusion and empowerment of people who may be vulnerable.
6. It is the responsibility of each of us to prevent the physical, emotional, sexual, financial and spiritual abuse of children and vulnerable adults, and to report any such abuse we discover or suspect.
7. We undertake to exercise proper care in the appointment and selection of those who will work with children and vulnerable adults.
8. The church is committed to supporting, resourcing, training and regularly reviewing those who undertake work amongst children and vulnerable adults.
9. We adopt the guidelines of the Church of England and Durham Diocese
10. Each person who works with children and vulnerable adults will agree to abide by this statement and the guidelines established by the church.
11. The PCC appoints the Parish Safeguarding Officer to present safeguarding concerns and issues at PCC meetings and outside bodies.
For further information, please visit the Durham Diocese website: